OHRV Registrations

The person whose name is on the registration needs to be present with their driver’s license.

Who has to register their OHRV?

All OHRVs that are used off of the owner’s property must be registered. Motorcycles that are registered for highway use must also register as an OHRV if they are to be used off road. Conventional motor vehicles (cars and trucks) that are registered for highway use are not required to obtain an OHRV registration. Cars and trucks are not permitted on OHRV trails.

Is my New Hampshire registration valid in other states?

Your New Hampshire snowmobile registration is valid in Vermont, but you must purchase a Non-Resident Trails Maintenance Assessment Pass and join the state association and local club. Some states and provinces require proof of insurance and payment of a trail use fee or club membership. When planning to ride in other states or provinces, call ahead for particulars and restrictions such as dates and available trails.

Do I need a Title or Bill of Sale?

The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department is the state agency responsible for the registration of Off Highway Recreational Vehicles and snowmobiles. The state of New Hampshire does not title Off Highway Recreational Vehicles or snowmobiles nor does it maintain any records of title or liens on these types of vehicles. A title, bill of sale or previous registration is not required to register an Off Highway Recreational Vehicle or snowmobile.

Although a bill of sale is not required to register in New Hampshire, when buying or selling a machine, it is recommended that a bill of sale is completed with the following information included:

  • Date of sale
  • Vehicle year of manufacturer
  • Vehicle make
  • Vehicle model
  • Vehicle engine size (cc)
  • Vehicle color
  • Vehicle identification number
  • Seller’s name, address and signature
  • Buyer’s name, address and signature

It is also recommended that a buyer verify the VIN on the bill of sale against the machine itself. N.H. Fish and Game does not verify or give out registration or machine information unless an individual is requesting his or her own registration information.

When a transfer of ownership has taken place, the registration and decals on the machine are no longer valid; the new owner would need to register the machine in their own name.

For more information please see NH Fish & Game website